It’s almost October again, wow does the time fly! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of this disease. Most people are “aware” of breast cancer but do not take the proper steps to ensure early detection, like self-exams, pre-screening, etc. The goal of Breast Cancer Awareness Month is to promote these steps to ensure early detection.
1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with Breast Cancer in the United Sates in their lifetime. The goal of screening is to find it before it causes symptoms like a lump you can feel. The benefit of early detection is that the cancer will be smaller and most likely confined to the breast. Doctors feel that early detection tests for breast cancer help to save thousands of lives each year and could save thousands more if more women took advantage of these tests.
Having a breast cancer fundraising event can be a fun and fulfilling way to support a loved one who has battled or is battling breast cancer.
Ideas for Individuals:
- Run for Breast Cancer (it is ok to walk to!) There are tons of 5ks, walks, and marathons all over the US to participate in.
- Have an old fashioned bake sale!
- Create your own t-shirt design, have them printed and sell them!
- Get creative with Pinterest and have a craft fair!
Ideas for Businesses:
- Sponsor a Golf Tournament, Marathon, or 5K! Players or participants pay a fee to participate and the money is then donated to a breast cancer research group or a group that provides free screenings for women. Check out our Tournament Planning guide!
- Hold an education event such as a Pink Party for customers and/or employees to promote awareness.
- Give free pink ribbon pins and information sheets to employees and customers which are always popular!
- There are also tons of pink items such as water bottles, tumblers, pens, pink hats and shirts, etc. that can be printed and sold or given away for awareness!